Here’s the route we took – all 900 miles.
A few general observations from our trip:
- When you’re lying in bed and you hit a 4m wave, you will bounce off the ceiling. Quite a thrill for me, but it freaked Keef out, who hid under the duvet.
- Everything takes twice as long when you’re at sea, like making a cup of tea, because it’s hard to keep your balance and stop things moving around.
- Ian, however, makes a brilliant full English breakfast, even at sea.
- Ibiza is crazy and I can’t wait to go again. What happens in Ibiza needs to stay in Ibiza though.
- We are slaves to the weather. A huge storm hit Menorca just after we left. If we had stayed another day we would have been stuck there for about five more. This also meant we didn’t stay in some places as long as we would have wanted because we had to beat the weather.
- Sardegna was incredibly friendly and welcoming. We were the only English people we came across but everyone made an effort to talk to us and we had the most amazing fun.
- When you let go of a rope, make sure the other end is attached to the boat, or it will end up at the bottom ot the sea (Ian!).
- Do not accidently switch off the computer that is keeping us on course in the middle of the night, so we have to wake up Matt to come sort it out. (Ian again!).
- I will never tire of seeing dolphins – such beautiful creatures.
- I can (sort of) drive the boat and understand most of the controls now. I knew nothing before. I am, however, banned from doing ropes.
- Being on a boat for two weeks with two other people means you need to be laid back and get on very well. We actually made a great team and had a lot of fun together.
- It was hard work and we were sleep-deprived at times, but it was so worth it for that sense of freedom when you let go of those ropes and the excitement of being somewhere new each day.
- Would we do it all again? Ask me again in a couple of weeks after I’ve recovered! haha! (of course we would!).
Thank you Matt for inviting us on the adventure and trusting us enough to leave the boat in our hands while you slept (brave soul!). We really are so very grateful to have had this opportunity!
A selection of my favourite photos from our trip. Some because they are so pretty, others, just because they invoke sweet memories!